I’ve got a tip for you that’s so simple it will:
1) Blow your mind and
2) Make you think “dad joke”
Q: What’s the secret to reaching your goals?
A: Set goals that you can reach.
I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but hear me out.
It’s awesome to have BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals).
They can be motivating, they build character, and they generate a ton of self-confidence when you finally reach them.
But they also can leave you feeling discouraged and overwhelmed, and (worst of all) you can end up quitting.
That’s one of the biggest reasons ⅔ of people who set New Year’s goals quit by the end of January!
I have a better approach.
Setting “baseline” and “stretch” goals.
● A baseline goal is something you can realistically do on a regular basis (with a little effort).
● A stretch goal is like an “extra credit” goal. It stretches you past your baseline.
Most people start with stretch goals.
And as soon as their schedule gets busy or something gets in the way (being tired, sore, or you name it!), they give up.
Baseline goals stop that from happening.
Below are a few examples of what I’m talking about.
“Baseline” Goal Examples:
● Working out for 30 minutes, 3 days a week
● Eating protein with every meal
● Getting 15 minutes of fresh air, 3 days a week
All of those are doable with a little effort – and they will help you make BIG progress.
“Stretch” Goal Examples:
● Working out for an hour, 5 days a week
● Meal prepping and tracking ALL of your weekday meals for 90 days
● Going for a 30-minute walk or jog outside every day, rain or shine
Also doable – but throw in a busy week or a change in your schedule, and it can get really hard to keep up.
I have a little challenge for you: set 1-2 baseline goals for yourself (RIGHT NOW!) for the rest of this month.
This will help cement your healthy habits … gain traction … and you’ll be AMAZED at the difference they can make over time!
Feel free to send them to us at Tiffany@tcfitnessandhealth.com for some extra accountability.